The Reepham Society (Page last updated
photograph of the side of the Market Place opposite St Michael's church
shows the origin of our logo (missing the left-most building -
apologies!). At the left of the photograph is HSBC Bank. In the middle
is Robertson the Butcher's shop, while on the right is Mott's Pharmacy.
Pity about the cars.
charity, the Society was established as a local amenity association in 1976 to
stimulate public interest in Reepham, Hackford, Kerdiston, Salle, and Whitwell.
(These are small parishes in rural Norfolk,
England - about 12 miles North West of
Norwich. Our District Council is
independent, we are a member of a national organisation representing similar
interests but on the larger canvas. This national body is the
Council for the Protection of Rural
England; its local county branch is called CPRE Norfolk. Its web site
can be found at
Reepham Society's prime objects are to promote high standards of planning and
architecture, as well as to secure the preservation and improvement of features
that are of historical interest. We also keep a watch on activities and
developments that are likely to affect our area.
are non-party political, non-sectarian, and non-profit making being financed
entirely by members' subscriptions (For 2012 £5.00 p.a. per person). Membership
stands at around 170 households, about 240 people. Although most members
live locally, residence is not a criterion of membership. Some members
live outside the locality; at least one family lives outside the UK. In
2012 the Society's meetings will be on the second Tuesday of the month
and will be a St Michaell.
We are not a historical society and are not usually
able to answer genealogical enquiries.
(To see a map of Reepham click
here. The map will open in a different web site "streetmap.co.uk" and may
take a few minutes to download.)
On the left, a painting by ex local Post
Master, Mr George Johnson, showing part of our Market Place.
The town & surrounding area
have an ancient history, but information is scarce until after the
Norman Conquest of 1066. The first recorded vicar of Reepham & Kerdiston
was in post in 1261, of Hackford in 1317, and of Whitwell in 1321. All
three churches were built in the same churchyard. Hackford church was
destroyed in the Great Fire of Reepham, 1543.
||This photograph clearly
shows the remaining two churches.
St Mary's in the foreground, St Michael's behind.
St Mary's is now the single parish church; St Michael's, although still
a consecrated building, is mainly used for meetings and similar
The tower of St Mary's is just visible
behind the churchyard. St Mary's contains an important and beautiful
monument of Sir Roger de Kerdiston, 1337, recumbent on a bed of large
pebbles. The meaning of this is not certain; it may be
self-mortification or may be allegory. Pevsner says "His attitude is
singularly tense. The r. hand grips the sword on the l., the l. crosses
over and touches the pebbles. Against the tomb-chest eight small figures
of mourners or weepers. They must once have been of a delicate, lyrical
photographs by our Former Rector, Canon Michael Paddison.
opposite St Michael's Church. View with other images on this page for a
photographic tour of Reepham's Market Place.
was founded in 1277 when Sir John de Vaux, whose lordship of Hackford
extended into the parish of Reepham, obtained a charter from King Edward
I for a weekly market. Reepham remains proud of the fact that it is a
Market TOWN, notwithstanding that it nowadays equates in size to a rural
village (around 1200 households).
Present day Reepham Market
Place is mostly 18th century. As a conservation area containing mainly
Georgian architecture, the Society seeks to ensure that the best of the
old is retained and that any modifications are suitably integrated.
Examples of the success of this policy are our two Market Place pubs
shown below. (The
local history page makes clear that pubs' histories are
currently under research so it would be premature to give a great deal
of information here.)
The Old Brewery House Hotel
This listed Georgian building was built in
1729 and originally named the "Dial House" because of a large sun dial
over the front door. This can be seen as a white square in the
photograph opposite. In 1972 the house was converted to a commercial
hotel and renamed The Old Brewery House Hotel to recognise its previous
rôle as residence of the family that, for generations, had run a brewery
in Reepham, and because one of the hotel's principal rooms
used to be the brewery.
The King's Arms
(This photograph shows that we have also preserved the "old" style
telephone box!) The King's Arms is another of our listed buildings, but
older than the Old Brewery House Hotel. We are not yet certain when its
oldest parts were built, but much is timber framed, suggesting at least
16th century. It was a "coaching" inn until the demise of stage coaches
in the middle of the 19th century. (The doorway through which coaches
entered can be seen behind the white car.)
Pub photographs by Jackie
Heath of the Reepham & District Photographic Club
Back to top of page